My mum has been raving about this place,
she loves her waffles
so we ordered to share:
French Onion Soup
Butter and Jam
Verdict: 1/2 of us will return.
French Onion Soup: it was tasteless. I don’t think i really need to elaborate on it further.
waffles: considering this is the second time that my mum has returned, she mentioned how the first time around the waffles were much better -> in terms of the level of fluffiness and crisp. This time around both waffles were just too airy and not very crispy.
Damage: $15 per pax
1 Goldhill Plaza, #01-11
Monday – Sunday: 8:30 am – 10:30 pm
A casual meet up to explore this place in the hood
we ordered to share (ok i had the waffle to myself but couldn’t finish)
so we ordered to share
Red Velvet Waffle
Verdict: 2/3 of us will return.
Coffee: Impressive latte art! My friends had a whale and a bear latte art drawn on their coffees. Taste wise was really ok if you like your after taste to not be so acidic.
Cake: consistent texture.
sweet level: 4/5
Waffle: This was something new that kinda worked. the whitish part is cream cheese, not normal cream.Nonetheless, it was quite solid the waffle, probably due to the chocolate inside. If you like your waffles to have a slightly heavier consistency, I would recommend this one. Crispiness was not compromised even though the mixture was towards the heavy side. 🙂
Just a thought:
1) I think they could try to infuse the cream cheese into the waffle , as I bit into it, there was chocolate inside the waffle, so instead of chocolate, i think if they did it with the cream cheese instead and continued to drizzle the chocolate sauce on the outside, it would have been quite a pleasant surprise.
2) come up with a cream cheese ice-cream equivalent if the above mentioned menthol of infusing the cream cheese is too much of a hassle. Chocolate ice-cream was too much for me.
sweet level: 4/5
Looking forward to return and try the other desserts 🙂
Note* : If i had to measure sweetness level through a cup of milo drink, imagine when making a cup of milo:
Sweet Level (1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest)
- Not at all sweet ( = 1tbsp of milo)
- Subtle sweet ( = 1.5 tbsp of milo)
- Generally Sweet ( = 2 tbsp of milo + 1 tbsp of condensed milk)
- Just nice (= 2 tbsp of milo + 1 tbsp of condensed milk + 1 tbsp of sugar)
- Too much (= milo (9 tbsp of milo+ 2tbsp of condensed mik and sugar))
Damage: $15-$18 per pax
The Bakery Chef
Blk 161 Bukit Merah Central
Operating from: 10am-9pm (Fri- Mon),
10am – 7pm (Tues & Thurs)
Trudged around to stumble upon this place
just to cool off
Horlicks shaved ice with milo cornflakes
Strawberry shaved iced
Shaved Milk Ice with Nada de coco
Shaved Soybean Ice with pearl, sweet potato ball and yam ball
Verdict: 2.5/5 of us will return
1. Maybe partly was too sweet for us ; though the flavours were pretty interesting. I shared the Horlicks shaved ice. I thought was pretty good but just a little too much
2. The Soyabean flavoured one tasted like Mr bean ice-cream-> though I think I prefer Mr bean (I really need to put up the post on it) .. kinda reminds me of blackball
3. The rest of the desserts were not bad
108 Tanjong Pagar Rd,
Used to hang out at this place when I was abroad in Melbourne
Today, I was treated kindly by a classmate
Fondue: Caramel, Chocolate and White Chocolate
Chocolate Chai Tea 🙂
Verdict: 5/5 of us will return.
I had the chocolate chai .. I must say it is very uniquely nice for all those who likes chai tea latte and wants to take the sweetness a notch higher, this is highly recommended. After a few glasses however, it just was too much for me .. Better this be shared 🙂
The fondue was good, chocolate was solid, not those diluted mixed up chocolate or cheapo melted chocolate.
Crepe was also good -> snapped up very fast
For all who needs a quick chocolate fix, try this place! in Melbourne I remember eating the waffles! super awesome there! but I am not too sure about here .. have yet to try! perhaps on the next trip back!
112 East Coast Road,
#01‐05 112 Katong,
8 Raffles Avenue,
was looking around for a central place to catch up
always walked past this but didn’t go in to have a look
Breakfast BLT: Grilled Bacon and Provolone Cheese on Ciabatta Bread with Roasted Tomatoes, Fresh Avacado, Rocket and Garlic Aioli
Egg Benedict: Poached Eggs on Toasted Brioche with Wilted Spinach, Cooked Ham and Hollandaise
Ricotta Pancakes: with Caramelised Banana, Candied walnuts and Providore Yellowbox Honey
Verdict: 3/3 of us will not return.
The Pancakes were the light and fluffy ones .. I personally like the thick and heavy ones .. but it was ok ..
Eggs Benedict was quite ok .. sauce was too sharp
BLT was quite average
The Providore Mandarin Gallery
#02-05, Mandarin Gallery
333A Orchard Rd,
There is always another stomach for dessert
we headed off and stumbled upon this place
Chocolate Macadamia (dark chocolate mousse cake with Macadamia nuts)
Step Inside Love: Lemon-Sponge Cake with Cheese and Cherry Frosting
Hazelnut Mousse Cake
Verdict: 2/3 of us will return.
All the cakes were very nice, but I think consensually we thought the Chocolate Macadamia was slightly flat…
The lemon sponge was very solid but yet not too heavy. My friend who ordered this is not a very sweet tooth, but she finished the whole cake. ( a very good yardstick to measure against).
Quarter to Three
88 Tanjong Pagar Road
I recall the days when I was studying,
I would frequent this place with my classmates since we were near by
and another one super loved pancakes
I came here before with my close friend and decided to bring them there..
This time around, I decided to pop in for a quick craving fix
Garlic Butter and Syrup
Verdict: 1/1 would definitely return!!!
Consistency is there .. Apart from the bad Ice mocha ( it was not thick? and tasted more like watery chocolate water) , the pancakes were just divine.
If you like your pancakes floury and thick, this would be the place to visit.
Loved the butter as well, very unique and ‘saltish sweet’ ..
Would come back for a sweet salty fix 🙂
happy belly indeed
44A Prinsep St,
I have been obsessively crazy over this dessert
Signature : Grass Jelly, Red Bean, Sweet Potato ball, Yam Ball, Yam. Sweet Potato and Pearl
Signature with Creamer
Verdict: 1/1 of me will totally return
What is so special about this? that was the first thought that I had when my friends were raving about it.
1) I realised the grass jelly ( well chin chow) was very different from the Singapore Hawker centers/ super market kind. This grass jelly was really chewy? and not jelly like texture did not have as strong a taste as the local ones here (not also saying that the local ones here are super strongly “Chinese Medicine Centered, pretty mild actually to me)
2) maybe being a sucker for yam related desserts, at first, the yam ball/ sweet potato ball was like a.. to describe it is pearl mixed with the real yam .. same with the sweet potato ball .. its bait weird but acquired i would say
3) I always say I want to try the other bubble tea but always end up eating the signature :p
In the midst of this hot weather, looking for something to cool down?
why not try some Chinese Dessert?
Mango Shaved Ice
Verdict: 3/3 of us will return for this.
we shared this among 3 of us and it was just delightful!!
1) not too icy, strong mango flavour in the ice
2) not too sweet
Note: I took away the other traditional desserts such as the peanut paste, walnut paste and yam paste . If you personally like syrup water or starchy water, go ahead and order. I definitely would not be coming back to buy these Chinese deserts
Mei Heong Yuen Dessert
#B4-34, ION Orchard,
2 Orchard Turn
So for desert, we decided to give this newly opened place around Orchard a try.
It was very packed and crowded! Free seating! But the waiters/waitress were very attentive. Proceed directly to the cashier to order, and wait for your order to be brought to you. They don’t only sell bread, they also have puddings, cakes etc… so you have alot to choose from!
I asked the waiter what he suggested was the best seller, he strongly asked me to order the Oh~ my baby cake. I asked him for his opinion for the second cake choice ( no cheese for troopie su ann) and he said the next best would be the strawberry short cake, unless we liked the yoghurt one. So we decided to go with:
Mocha for me 🙂
Oh~ My baby Crepe Cake (layered with Strawberry)
Strawberry Short cake
The other side!
Verdict: 2/2 of us will return definitely!
The crepe cake was just awesome! It was so much better than the one that I ate at sun with moon – but ok given that both flavours are different so its hard to compare – The crepe was just not too thick and soggy, yet moist at the same time. The cream was not too much, and just overall, I am not a very big fan of strawberry cakes, but I must say I quite like this cake and would definitely come back for this.
The strawberry shortcake was also moist and soft. True in comparison to this crepe cake is quite pale, but overall, if we hadn’t ordered the crepe one, I would this this cake is still quite decent.
Mango smoothie was good and not too thick until after half the glass you feel sick from drinking it. I was also happy with my Mocha 🙂
Paris Baguette Cafe
435 Orchard Road
#02-48/53 Wisma Atria