Happy Friday everyone!!
have a good chillax weekend.
I have always seen this place being posted up on instagram .. food really looked appetizing
so I met my friend and we ordered to share:
Verdict: 2/2 of us will return
Overall, if I had to comment, I would order everything again. (maybe minus the chicken karage because it was just ok… and the apple crumble ) I loved it all, especially the chirashi don! be sure to dig deeper into the bowl as there is like their home made sauce mixed deep with the rice.
I think the best thing about sitting at the counter seat was being able to witness how the chef prepared food for other people .. it was like an artist at work using ordinary ingredients to make it aesthetically beautiful without compromising on the taste.
would return for:
1. Chirashi don
2. Hana maki
3. Negi-toro tataki
would want to try:
1. Uni Shooters
2. TFS signature roll
3. Spicy Maguro Maki
4. Foe Gras Aglio Olio
Damage: $30-40 per pax (inclusive of 2 alcoholic drinks per pax)
*disclaimer do not drink and drive
The Flying Squirrel
92 Amoy Street
Lunch: 1130am-3pm, last order 2pm
Dinner 6pm – 11pm (Mon-Thurs),
Tried this place out as a quick takeaway since I had work
and I wanted to treat myself to something better
took away the lunch set
view of the whole set
salad with sesame sauce
close up of the main
Verdict: 1/1 will return definitely!
1. This place was very different from the usual Japanese joints only because the style of cooking seemed to some extent quite home cooked
2. I ordered the most popular lunch set as recommended by the waitress, and it was really good! The chicken (ok can’t really go wrong with fried chicken) but quite a different take to the usual oyakudon ( chicken with egg on rice) with a fried twist. I like the “done-ness” of the egg yolk.
3. For a set it is quite extensive -> I couldn’t finish the whole set. Waiting time is just 20 mins..
77 Boat Quay
Decided to check out this place
A hidden gem around the corner!
Becareful if you walk past it, you might just end up missing it :p
Scrambled Eggs with Home Made Sour Dough (+) Portobello Mushrooms and (+) Pork Sausage
Hot and Cold Wicked (Mint Mocha)
Dirty Ronin Sandwich (Spicy Italian Sausage and Egg in Ciabatta bread)
Verdict: 2/3 of us will return.
1) Scrambled Eggs were fluffy yet moist and ‘thick’ (does sound weird that both adjectives are placed together)
2) wicked drink -> hmm personally for me, abit too much of the peppermint taste that I can’t taste the balance of the choc and latte
3) Dirty Ronin -> well.. it does look simple and something that you can make at home, but what was the difference was the bread. My friend liked it much
Service here is one of the kind -> no menus and the waitress will come by your table and recite the whole menu for you. We were waving for the attention of one of them, when she missed us and got reprimanded in front of us by her boss. They take service here very seriously and really make the effort to please every customer.
** it does get crowded lunch time/ 2-ish … adding on that the place is pretty small and narrow.. fyi
17 Hong Kong Street
So we decided to in the spirit of impromptu ness, we went to try one of the food at dempsey, which i have been hearig pretty good ravings
The place is nicely dec-ed out in a very causual setting.. It kind of reminds me of the cafe that the sitcom FRIENDS, that they always patronise to some extent.
Nice place to people watch
We went ahead and ordered
I would return to try the other things on the menu. I think my drink would have tasted nicer if there was some chocolate or butter scorch syrup added.. Because it tasted like ice blended rum and raisin ice cream. The pasta had truffle oil but i dont know whether its because of my drink that i could not taste any of it, or that the dish itself perhaps didnt have as much truffle oil as i thought it would have had.
My friend totally enjoyed her eggs bene on thick toast! They were very generous with their hollandaise sauce!
Ratings: 2 of us will return- I feel cheated mine didnt turn out as well, but i loved how this is nicely tucked in behind cbd area and perhaps better luck in choosing something better
49 Duxton Road